Frank Zappa - Läther CD (album) cover

Frank Zappa

Cygnus X-2
2 stars A radio-only 1977 release that would eventually become a triple CD box set. The material here encompasses the albums Sleep Dirt, Studio Tan, some of Joe's Garage, some rare live material, and parts of Sheik Yerbouti and Baby Snakes. The musicianship on these songs are impeccable and the song selection is priceless. But, if you own have the albums that these songs are on, then there is no real reason to purchase this box set. I happened to have found it discounted so I took up the chance. There are a few unreleased songs here, like a remake of Regyptian Strut and Legend of the Illinois Enema Bandit, but there isn't enough new material to make this set worthwile.

However, if you do not own any of the albums that these songs are on, this is a good way to obtain them without spending too much money on them. Overall, I would like to give it a 3.5/5 for sheer brilliance, but in reality, seeing as this really is a compilation of songs that are not different from their studio releases, I give it a 2.5/5.

Cygnus X-2 | 2/5 |