Unexpect - Fables of the Sleepless Empire CD (album) cover

FABLES OF THE SLEEPLESS EMPIRE

Unexpect

Experimental/Post Metal

Camel666
5 stars My favourite album this year. I liked their previous In a Flesh Aquarium well enough but I think it lacked cohesion and, while enjoying the vast amount of ideas in it, I found it way too hard to digest at times. Yes, technically speaking it was a pure pleasure to listen to but it never really clicked with me.

Wiht this new Fables of the Sleepless Empire their songwriting has improved and what we have here is the same incredible musical diversity but also songs that are actually... well... songs. It's always avant-garde so it gets pretty twisted here and there but it's also a way more accessible album than its predecessor. You'll surprise yourself humming a song like Unfed Pendulum after a couple of listens, something that still hasn't happened with Flesh Aquarium.

If you've never heard of Unexpect and you happen to like your music theatrical, with violins, growls, sopranos and the likes and you want to listen to something really unique these days then go on and give a spin to Fables of the Sleepless Empire. I can't say it's music for everyone but Unexpect definitely released something close to a masterpiece here. Given the genre, I don't think it can be played much better than here.

Camel666 | 5/5 |