Fen - Epoch CD (album) cover

EPOCH

Fen

Experimental/Post Metal

Izek
5 stars Simply put, I never was a fan of black metal until I discovered this band and heard this album. The instrumentation on this album is amazing. I love how the songs seem to string together and make the album feel like one long piece. Every time I play this album, it seems I "accidently" listen to the whole thing. It's so hard to put on different music especially when there's not one song I don't enjoy.

I used to not be a fan of the "black metal" vocals but my love for variety in any type of instrument playing (including vocals) quickly shadowed over any distaste I might have had in the lead singer's style. And there's enough variety in his vocals for me to recognize him as a fairly versatile and talented musician similar to the rest of the band members.

This is definitely my favorite album so far this year seeing as how I can't stop listening to it(even as I type this review). For those wondering, I would describe the genre of this album as very progressive, orchestrated, black metal. If you're into progressive, melodic, post rock, death, or black metal, I would strongly suggest giving this album a listen. I eagerly look forward to this band's next masterpiece.

Izek | 5/5 |