Accordo Dei Contrari - Kublai CD (album) cover

Accordo Dei Contrari

4 stars Wow, another gem from Italy.

I have had my eyes and ears on this band for a while. If I am not wrong, I even interviewed them. This band have a quirky approach to fusion/jazz as in if they belongs in the Canterbury Scene genre. Which in my view they do. I am big fans of Picchio Dal Pozzo and Soft Machine. I see a lot, a whole ocean of these two bands in Accordo Dei Contrari's music. Both in attitude and in music. Then again; there is a lot of Mahavishnu Orchestra in their music too.

The music on Kublai is anything but straight forward. It is quirky and also implement a lot of Eclectic Prog aka Gentle Giant and RPI in their sound. Gentle Giant is a good reference point too for this album. In Accordo Dei Contrari's compositions, you never knows what's around the next corner. The music is unpredictable. In particular when some very Caravan'esque vocals shows up in the middle of a Soft Machine like avant-garde jazz work out (on L'Ombra di un Sogno, I think). Great stuff and a great surprise. Most music here is a great surprise in fact. The twists and turns of their music takes the listener on a big chase around the musical landscape.

The overall quality of the music here is great. I like their playful approach which reminds me a lot about the best of the Canterbury Scene. And frankly; Accordo Dei Contrari belongs in that category. So if you like National Health, the more jazzy part of Caravan, Soft Machine and Hatfield & The North; this is an album for you. Like it is for me who really loves this album. Both now and in the upcoming remaining decades of my life.

4 stars