Battles - Gloss Drop CD (album) cover

Post Rock/Math rock

4 stars Sugar rush!

Simply a good, fun record, albeit a very odd one at that. The music sounds just like the album cover looks (A melting brain? Bubble-gum spaghetti?) There's a playfulness that radiates from every track, even Gary Numan's robotic crooning doesn't hinder the vibe (see "My Machines"). "Ice Cream", "Futura" and "Sundome" are my favorite examples of the craziness Gloss Drop emulates. "Sweetie and Shag" injects a bit of "indie-pop" into the mix, while the brief "Toddler" could have have been inspired from some of Raymond Scott's work.

I never listened to Battles before this, so I can't compare it with Mirrored. As it stands on its own this is one awesome record. (and I do literally mean record... I bought the vinyl version, which includes a code for a digital download, btw.)

catfood03 | 4/5 |