Steve Hackett - Voyage Of The Acolyte CD (album) cover

VOYAGE OF THE ACOLYTE

Steve Hackett

Moonstone
5 stars STUNNING!

This is one of my all time favorite prog records. In fact I love this album more than what Genesis put out in the same period, "Trick of the tail" and "Wind & Wuthering", though I am a huge Genesis fan.

Steve Hackett's "Voyage of the Acolyte" has everything a prog lover needs. The album is quite adventurous. Stunning Mellotron playing, excellent guitar playing, lovely flute parts, great production, and the songs themselves are GREAT. I love the cover art and the concept for the album, and the music fits perfectly.

The songs Ace Of Wands, Hands of the Priestess Part 1 & 2, A Tower Struck Down, The Hermit, Shadow of the Hierophant are my favorite tracks, and Shadow of the Hierophant being the absolute best track on the whole album. The Lovers is a good tune as well, but nos AS good as the others.

Star of Sirius is the most uninteresting track for me, being sung by Phil Collins. I'm not a big fan of Phil's vocals, and that ruins the song a bit, and the track itself is a mixed bag. Some of the Mellotron parts are great, but I find other parts to be a little cheezy, like the chorus parts.

A classic album nevertheless, and a MUST HAVE in a prog rockers collection. If you dont have it yet, GET IT. NOW.

5 stars easy.