Santana - Caravanserai CD (album) cover

CARAVANSERAI

Santana

BrufordFreak
5 stars It is so exciting to discover albums from 35-40 years ago that I'd never heard before and find myself totally blown away by the 'new' music I hear. Again, thank you Max and ProgArchivists: my world of music has never been so blown open. Caravanserai is an album whose first listen flooded me with such nostalgia; I had never before realized how much Carlos' guitar playing and his Latin rhythms and amazing organists influenced my core musical likes and values until I listened to this album. Hearing "Waves Within" (10/10) I was (and am each time I listen to it) overcome with a flood of emotion taking me back to the Eden that was my formative pre-teen years.

While I understand the derogatory comments bestowed upon the atmospheric "interludes" ("Eternal Caravan of Reincarnation" and "Future Primitive"), I love them and find them essential to the spiritual journey Santana is taking us on.

Through the years I have enjoyed many of the singers and lyrics of Santana songs, however, I quite agree that on this album their presence are, overall, IMHO, out of place with and even detract from the spirit of the rest of the music. And while many of Carlos' extended solos are backed by simple two-chord repetitions, the band is always jamming their hearts out?they're in the same cosmic groove that allows Carlos to soar?and soar he does: The man is a true master of 'stumbling' upon incredibly catchy, melodic riffs while negotiating the fret board at seeming break-neck speed. Amazing talent. Truly a god channeling the divine!

I agree with Sean Trane: "Every Step of the Way" escorts the listener to a divine orgasm. Turn this one up to 11! It deserves a 6!

Wonderful album with outstanding work from Michael Shrieve, Neal Schon, Mingo Lewis and Greg Rolie?not to mention the Devadip!

5 star songs: "Waves Within," "Look Up (To See What's Coming)," "Song of the Wind," "Every Step of the Way."

BrufordFreak | 5/5 |