Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts CD (album) cover

Van Der Graaf Generator

3 stars I don't get it.

People like what they like, and don't like what they don't like. When I hear VDGG (any album--I'd rate H to the as the most (sic) original piece from this band, which in my eyes, isn't saying much. Sure the guy has a great voice, but so does the guy from Rare Bird, and they get low(er) marks. Sure the instrumental interplay is good and sometimes fascinating, but so is the interplay from Gryphon, and they get low(er) marks.. Maybe the players are cool off the stage and virtuosos on, but so are the members of Kraan, and they get low(er) marks.

I'm not trying to hate, and the music on most of their albums is good, but I don't hear greatness, especially 4+ stars great. Perhaps I represent the minority, like many of Camel's albums (I prefer Breathless and I Can See Your House From Here). But VDGG doesn't resonate with me like any album from Genesis, Caravan, Yes, King Crimson, Gong, Brian Auger, Nucleus, Atomic Rooster, Gnidrolog, Hatfield And The North, Colosseum, Robert Wyatt, Hugh Hopper....

3 stars for pedestrian work......I'd rather listen to Moonmadness--that goes for any VDGG release in the golden age of prog...............

Suedevanshoe | 3/5 |