Ghiribizzi - Pan'ta Rhei CD (album) cover

PAN'TA RHEI

Ghiribizzi

progrules
3 stars After 200+ neo albums over the years one feels to have heard it all in this subgenre. And I must admit when I listened to several of the tracks on here I was thinking: okay, here we go again. In worst cases I even thought Ghiribizzi was one of those bands who give neo prog a bad name. But it just shows you it's very important not to base your judgement on a few tracks but listen to the whole album.

And this is important with Pan'ta Rhei because there are 5 quarters of an hour of music on this release and the result is a pretty versatile output I have to say. I even think it's the biggest plus of this album, the varied way of composing the songs. It results in a far from boring treat of neo progressive music. The longer tracks are once more the better ones showing the bands potential best though a real stand out track is what's missing on this album.

Big question in the end is the rating once again. I feel the 4 and 2 star rating by a prog reviewer so far are both a bit overdone. On the other hand an average of 3,08 seems a bit too low everything considered. It's no coincidence all three other reviewers gave three but admitted all that it's actually 3,5. Shoot, that's a toughie. Because if I do the same, the average remains pretty low where it actually should be around 3,4 or something. In the end I will have to do what I have to do and that's giving my own rating and it will have to be 3 with the additional remark the half star possibility would have been ideal here. Sorry, Ghiribizzi.

progrules | 3/5 |