Big Big Train - The Underfall Yard CD (album) cover

Big Big Train

3 stars "...Bring on the cornets!!"

The sixth full studio album from Big Big Train featuring new vocalist David Longdon.

The Good: Despite having been around for twenty years now The Underfall Yard was my first exposure to this band. It was recommended to me by a friend as 'the best greatest album of the decade' and whilst I don't entirely agree with this bold claim, I can see where they are coming from. The stunning finale was the first track I heard and is easily the highlight of the album. The rest manages to avoid Octavariumitus with generally strong compositions throughout, Master James of St. George and Victorian Brickwork being my personal favourites. The vocals are a joy to listen to and the combination of brass instrumentation and screaming synthesizer fills is a somewhat unusual mix, but actually works really well. The overall sound falls somewhere between Genesis, Camel and Spock's Beard.

The Bad: Evening Star and Winchester Diver never really grab my attention.

The Verdict: One egg short of a full English breakfast.

Starhammer | 3/5 |