The Residents - The Third Reich 'N Roll CD (album) cover

THE THIRD REICH 'N ROLL

The Residents

RIO/Avant-Prog

penguindf12
5 stars This is the greatest album. From the moment I hear Side Two, I knew I had to own it.

The Residents have turned pop music into the greatest avant-rock music I can think of. The entire thing sounds as if it was recorded in a cave - clunky string synths abound, tapes of war, everything designed to blast the pop hits of yesteryear into steaming piles.

Chubby Hitler asks us to dance before taking a huge audio dump. "Land of a Thousand Dances" is killed -- NA NA NA NA NA. "Hanky Panky" becomes a Nazi march tune before the most hideous of voices dances around in full stereo. "Horse with No Name" is quoted for no reason at all. Best of Frat Rock hits become demonic dirges. I LOVE THIS ALBUM!!!

Side Two -- "Hitler was a Vegetarian" -- provides us with some classics of the '60s... Ah, I can't continue! Just listen, and purchase this album! If you liked anything I said -- most of you wouldn't -- but if you did, MY LORD WHY ARE YOU STILL READING??

The ending, dissonant rendition of "Hey Jude" often leaves me in tears.

I own the version with bonus tracks: they are ALL EXCELLENT. "Satisfaction" will rip your mind out. "Loser" is the best of forgotten Residents. And they invent plunderphonia with "Valley." GET THIS ALBUM NOW.

penguindf12 | 5/5 |