Spock's Beard - X CD (album) cover

X

Spock's Beard

Starhammer
3 stars Post-eponymous...

Spock's Beard return to the studio after four years.

The Good: I have always been a huge fan of V but neglected to investigate them any further following Neal Morse's departure from the band. After his solo career took a disappointing turn with Lifeline I decided to see if I'd been missing out on anything.

The sound of X is immediately recognisable, albeit slightly heavier than the Spock's Beard I know. The album kicks off with the brilliant miniature epic, Edge of the In-Between which remains for me the highlight, although the real epics, From the Darkness and Jaws of Heaven give it a run for its money! The bombastic instrumental Kamikaze manages to pack a tonne of music into a tiny space, whilst The Emperor's Clothes is a whole lot of fun and puts a modern twist on the classic fairytale.

I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of this release, proving that the band have successfully developed a more diverse repertoire whilst keeping the classic Spock's Beard style alive.

The Bad: I was unfortunate enough to get my hands on the limited edition which has the incredibly annoying Their Names Escape Me stuck slap bang in the middle of the release. It's essentially just a list of all the people who pre-ordered this edition, set to backing music. I can see it as a nice little incentive but even if my name was on the list I'd only listen to this once, and quite why it couldn't be left off till the end I really have no idea.

In addition, the repetitiveness of both The Quiet House and The Man Behind the Curtain becomes a little laborious after a while and always makes me want to skip to the final track.

The Verdict: VI/X