Abrete Gandul - Cuentos Para Dormir CD (album) cover

CUENTOS PARA DORMIR

Abrete Gandul

toroddfuglesteg
3 stars Another excellent band from Chile who deserve a lot more recognition.

This is their second album. Their first album was a fine effort, I have heard. It seems like they are approaching full bloom on this album. Abrete Gandul is listed as an eclectic prog band and eclectic prog is what we get here. A mix of Gentle Giant and King Crimson, no less. But a lot of jazz and fusion time signatures is also added to the mix. The melodies are twisted and unpredictable. This is entirely an instrumental album, but it is far from easy listening stuff.

The music is very complicated and the fine art of creating great, everlasting melodies gets a bit lost in the translation. As I am coming in from the metal scene, this album reminds me a heck of a lot about the first two Atheist albums when it comes to complexity. Actually, fans of Atheist will love this album. But Abrete Gandul is no death metal band or anywhere near metal. They are just heavy eclectic prog.

The quality is very good, but the art of good melody making has been lost somewhere in the process. So a very strong three points is sufficient. But I have taken a mental note of this band and will revisit their albums on a regular basis + keep an eye open for them.

3.5 stars