Atrium - 2011 CD (album) cover

3 stars Hmmmmm.........

Atrium has harvested some attention here in PA. Attention well deserved. Being a curious cat, I followed the scent and ended up with this album.

This Portugese band plays it safe on this album, their debut album. A mix of early Pendragon, Pallas in addition to Marillion all over. Add some British/Keltic folk rock too and you get this album. I am glad someone told me this band is from Portugal. OK, the vocalist's accent is a bit suspect. But most British vocalists has suspect accents (nobody speaks English in England and that is a fact) too so the vocalist sounds like he was born and bred in Rotherham. In short; Atrium has gone down the safe route by copying the British Neo-Prog sound. The local Portugese flavour they are supposed to have.......... well, not on my personal copy of this album.

The quality is pretty good throughout. I cannot hide that this album sounds a bit generic and far too safe for my liking. The type of albums this scene does not really need. Let's hope the band takes more risks and add personality next time around. I am inbetween two and three stars on this album. But I will not discourage the band to try again so a weak three stars is in order. But please add some soul next time around, guys.

3 stars