Sun Caged - The Lotus Effect CD (album) cover

Sun Caged

5 stars For me Sun Caged's 2007 release 'Artemesia' was going to be a tough act to follow. It contained absolutely everything that appealed to my prog metal sensibilities and for me is right up there with the latest releases of Dream Theater and Symphony X et al.

Thus I waited with (...somewhat prolonged) anticipation as to how The Lotus Effect could better such a stirling effort. It was certainly worth the wait. Sun Caged stick within the same vein as Artemesia, yet still manage to push the boundaries further musically.

Running at just over 72 mins the album certainly gives you your moneys worth. The album contains 14 tracks the first 7 tracks are pretty much stand alone. The final 7 form an epic suite entitled the 8 Auspicious Symbols (although there are only 7 tracks!?).

The material forming this suite on its own make this album a worthwhile purchase, however the first half also contains a few gems. For me 'Tip Toe the Fault Line' and 'On Again/Off Again' particularly stood out; then again I am a sucker for guitar/keys duels. 'Ashes to Ear' and 'Lotus' also provide softer, more melodic moments.

Sun Caged certainly are a band that deserve much more recognition and a place amongst the prog metal elite. Judge for yourself... 5/5

Jacobim | 5/5 |