Yes - Fly From Here CD (album) cover

FLY FROM HERE

sussexbowler
3 stars I'm not happy about the politics, Trevor Horn will never be part of Yes in my eyes. This, however, I will put aside.

'Fly from here' is a likeable effort, playing to the strengths of Yes' style, but it doesn't challenge the genre with anything new or adventurous.

Ignoring Steve Howe's guitar solo, I make it that there are basically 3 songs here, 'fleshed out'. The tone and feel of the music stay the same throughout, which is probably a good thing, as it creates a flow. Thankfully, it doesn't have Trevor Horn's name on the musical style, despite him writing most of the material!

When I play this over in my head I think of Jon Anderson singing, because Benoit David is, after, all only substituting for JA in a sound sense. BD has certainly done an adequate job.

Altough Yes' sound, I can also hear what I'm missing. Despite JA's gentle approach to the world, I admit I get a kick when he 'kicks ass' with his music. And it is that 'angst' that I miss.

Having moved on now to something else musically, I surprisingly find that I've quickly forgotten what I thought I liked about the album in the first place! So it hasn't got staying power.

I DO like the last track though, and it's a fitting finale to a Yes album.

For me, the album was worth making, although it may disappear into the 'also-rans' of the Yes catalogue soon enough. Then again, some of the albums that appear to be LESS popular among the 'archives community, I really like.

So, definately not as good as 'Talk', 'Union', 'Tormato' or 'Anderson, Bruford, Howe and Wakeman'. They're all at another level.

sussexbowler | 3/5 |