Harold Budd - Abandoned Cities CD (album) cover

ABANDONED CITIES

Harold Budd

Progressive Electronic

Sheavy
5 stars People are always saying that nothing good came out of the 80's, especially in the world of Prog. Well to put it simply. Lies. You just have to be willing to actual try to find new bands and artists that you like. I found out about Harold Budd through his collaborations with Brian Eno, who, I like but for me, Harold Budd's ambient worlds and pictures are much, much more enthralling. With Eno, his ambient music is truly ambient. It does not come to the forefront and always lingers somewhere in the background, while I am fine with this, it will never reach the height of masterpiece such as this work by Harold Budd right here. This is probably my favorite album I have come across this year. The soundscapes this man has created are immense and captivating, hypnotic and throbbing with emotion and a almost feeling of isolationism, which goes along with the theme of this album about abandonment and a overall feeling of despair, without ever uttering a word.

Somewhat off-topic, but this is but it is important for understanding my feelings on this album. One of my favorite pastime hobbies is actually exploring abandoned buildings and other abandoned man-made structures. It is half about exploring these forgotten symbols and whatever went on inside of these buildings, and the other half photography. Well I went to a building with some friends not to long ago, one that I had been looking forward to going to, and happened to decide to bring this cd along and play it while in the building, since I had only really listened to it once and been very impressed. So when we arrived there at the building, which was an old coal breaker in the hills of Pennsylvania, we all started exploring the massive building ( which is about twelve stories tall and is mostly intact ), and I decided to play this on my Ipod. WOW. It was just incredible. The first track Dark Star just fits so amazingly well with the kind of feeling you get in a old building with only you around. The despairing guitar sounding note throughout this song just sends chills straight up your spine and I found myself almost unable to move from the beautiful background electronics against the sad guitar note. Abandoned City did not quite strike me in the same Dark Star did, but, it is a stellar track that also fits the mood of decay and despair that is so prevalent in old forgotten buildings that see nothing more than vandals, hobos, and the occasional people such as me and my friends. It is a feeling that is impossible to replicate while writing this, but wow. I have never been struck in such a way as this album has.

Without a doubt, get this. It is beautiful and sad, and should be something that is a mandatory listen. For me, this is hands down the best ambient record made.

Sheavy | 5/5 |