Jon Anderson - Survival And Other Stories CD (album) cover

SURVIVAL AND OTHER STORIES

Jon Anderson

sussexbowler
2 stars I should start by saying that I hold JA in the highest regard, and I understand that he has every right to sing about whatever he wants, especially bearing in mind the problematic recent period that he has had. However, as I never seem to listen to the words in music, this will be lost on me.

As a result, I find this album musically lacking, and pretty uninteresting, although I appreciate that JA is singing profound things that mean much to him.

I would suggest that better music, combined with a person's 'message', has a better chance of being heard and respected. Think of 'Birthright' from 'Anderson, Bruford, Howe and Wakeman' and maybe you'll understand.

I think that the music is too simplistic, without containing the sensitive touches that can transform such music into something beautiful, something we have heard many times from JA.

I DO like the first track though, and I think that the reprise at the end is a magical touch. None of the rest of the album is as 'full-bodied' as this however, and that's probably where I leave the party. Maybe there's too much emphasis on the lyrics, and too little on the music.

Forgive me JA. It's probably because I don't listen to lyrics that I have a problem, because that aside, there's simply not enough musical integrity in this for me.

sussexbowler | 2/5 |