Solstice Coil - Natural Causes CD (album) cover

Solstice Coil

3 stars Strange band, this Israelian band.

Describing their music somewhere between Dream Theater and Radiohead, they are not making things easy for themselves when it comes to attracting new fans. In particular when this description is very accurate. They have Dream Theater's guitar sound and Radiohead's vocals. Inbetween, you get a post rock bass and drums. Hence, the music on this album is somewhere in the triangle between Dream Theater, Radiohead and post rock. Mostly post rock though, I have to say. And that is the genre this band should be moved to.

The music on this album is pretty melancholic as in post rock post modernism. The sound and songs is based on guitars with some help from some Hammond organs and sometimes cello and violins. The vocals is great. The same is the cover art work which I am sure will draw in a lot of curious new people to this band too.

The overall quality of the songs are very good throughout. I am missing some really killer tracks (my regular complaint !). But this is a very good post rock album which may have a more wider appeal too. This band is well worth keeping an eye on.

3.5 stars