Dream Theater - Greatest Hit (...and 21 other pretty cool songs) CD (album) cover

GREATEST HIT (...AND 21 OTHER PRETTY COOL SONGS)

Dream Theater

Starhammer
1 stars Avoid like the plague...

A compilation which gets its name from the band's only commercially successful single, Pull Me Under.

The Good: The Images and Words remixes are pretty cool I guess.

The Bad: On the whole I don't like compilation albums, especially in prog as they often take tracks from the original context within which they were meant to be listened to. But I will admit a selection of hand picked, stand out tracks, on offer will usually give a newcomer a general idea whether to explore a band further or not. After all, the very first Rush album I bought was the Chronicles anthology, and I now own most of their studio albums.

However, this release from Dream Theater is a complete disaster. The songs here include some of the band's most unmemorable to date, and even the good ones have been chopped down into a single edit. Does this give an accurate representation of the band? No. Will it entice new listeners into checking out further releases? I highly doubt it.

The Verdict: A complete waste of time.

Starhammer | 1/5 |