Peter Banks - Two Sides of Peter Banks CD (album) cover

Peter Banks

4 stars Why I love this album? First, I think that Peter Banks is a very underrated guitarist. Second, because I think this album it's the perfect example of the underground prog of the 70's.

Former guitarist of Yes in their first two albums, Banks was totally eclipsed by Steve Howe at the early 70's. This "two sides" presents the talent of Mr. Banks playing prog and blues. Well, the prog parts looks like a primitive but wild Steve Hackett's imitation, but this is the magic of this record, the roughness of Banks when he play the guitar, specially on "The White House Vale". The other songs of the album sometimes souds a little bit predectible, but they are really good if you consider the year when this album was made. "Stop That!" is the most bored song of the album, perhaps the strange mix of blues and some kraut (?)... really, I'm not joking...

At least, a weird piece of collection, maybe necessary to understand why 70's prog was so great...

progadicto | 4/5 |