Rick Wakeman - The Six Wives of Henry VIII CD (album) cover

THE SIX WIVES OF HENRY VIII

Rick Wakeman

Warthur
3 stars I've made a good faith attempt to get into Rick Wakeman's solo work, but I have to say that - aside from this album - it all leaves me completely cold. Rick is an excellent keyboardist, but an extremely poor editor; if he were more careful about which compositions or elements of compositions he allowed to make the final cut for release and which he held back for more work, he'd be making less releases but I think the overall quality would improve.

The circumstances behind the recording of this album are a case in point: made at a time when he felt that his own creative contributions were being sidelined in Yes, the album gave Rick an outlet for his own compositions which he couldn't find in his band work at the time. It's pleasant enough listening, though to be honest I don't think it's the amazing masterpiece it's often proclaimed as. Perhaps it's overestimated somewhat simply by comparison to the rest of Wakeman's solo catalogue, which is far more variable in quality. Three stars.

Warthur | 3/5 |

Share this RICK WAKEMAN review

Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.