Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso - Io Sono Nato Libero CD (album) cover

Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso

Rock Progressivo Italiano

3 stars One of the better 'prog' albums from Italy.

Francesco Di Giacomo's vocals aren't bad but are a bit on the bland side, sounding like many of his compatriots. Thankfully the rest of the band are right on form throughout. The bongos at the beginning are superb and the acoustic guitars are beautiful. "Io Sono Nato Libero" is quite a light album which is excellently cut, but I find it difficult to listen to at any one time. I'm never in the right mood... Maybe it's all part of being Scottish, being stuck in this damn pouring rain all day? even in August... Baah!

The acoustic guitars are very well played, spewing out great little tunes, especially when put through the 'flanger'. But 'pretty' isn't what I'm after most of the time. This is quite an uplifting and floating album that is a hell of a lot better than most Italian prog I've heard. The absence of electric guitar is a welcome relief in a genre that is jam packed full of them.

One for 'pure' progheads, of whom I'm sure will love this to bits. I can't think of many albums that are more 'proggy than "Io Sono Nato Libero"'. For me however, It's just good... nothing more.... Nothing less.

Dobermensch | 3/5 |