Look To Windward - The Assemble EP CD (album) cover

THE ASSEMBLE EP

Look To Windward

Experimental/Post Metal

memowakeman
3 stars If you like this EP, then get the studio album!

Look to Windward is an interesting band from New Zealand which has a progressive metal orientation, a two-men act who fortunately (for us, the listeners) offer their music as a pay- what-you-want download, and when this happens, the least we can do is listening to them. This EP is just a taste of their full-length album, both of them released in 2010, and a proof that in the furthest places in the world, we will always find good music.

"The Assemble", which is the title of this EP, consists of three songs that make a total time of 21 minutes. It kicks off with "Vad Askan Sade" starts with a powerful sound, bombastic guitars, drums and keyboards that later slow down a little bit, just when vocals appear. After a minute and a half the structure makes a complete change, so the sound is divided in different episodes in this single track. There are death vocals (which I don't particularly like), but give sorrow and power to the music, which is greatly complemented by fantastic keyboards. It is a very well composed song.

"Assemble" after some seconds of a soft guitar, the music explodes and becomes powerful and with rage inside, the vocals are death ones again. The instrumental passages are by far much better, but well, this is a subjective thing since I don't really like this kind of voices. After three minutes a soft and spacey melody begins, which is my favorite part of the song.

And finally "Danger Eyes", a 9-minute track that easily shows the band's compositional skills. Here I do like the vocals and how the perfectly complement the music. Both members of the band play the main role, they are a perfect couple that cannot be separated, otherwise this project would fail. I like a lot the changes in time and tempo, and the guitar work overall, here you will have moments of tranquilization, and moments of anger.

This is a nice EP, and as I said, if you like this, then you will probably love the full-length album. Though this is not really the type of music I follow, it is evident that the band is talented and with a provocative sound, that will catch the attention of a ton of prog metal lovers. My final grade will be three stars.

Enjoy it!