Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells 2003 CD (album) cover

TUBULAR BELLS 2003

Mike Oldfield

Quirky Turkey
4 stars Tubular Bells - how it was supposed to be

Mike Oldfield was never happy with the mistakes and production quality of Tubular Bells due to having a very limited amount of time to make it and the pressure he was under. So on its 30th anniversary he decided to remake it; extremely faithful and accurate to the first. But this time with no mistakes or poor sound quality.

Being that I'm young and haven't been exposed to Mike Oldfield for a long time, I have the original Tubular Bells and Tubular Bells 2003 at my disposal. I've listened to them both a number of times and heavily favor the remake. It sounds pretty much exactly the same, only enhanced in quality. Compared to the original the only differences apart from quality are: the music is split into separate songs, John Cleese is the new Master of Ceremonies, there's an extended intro to Latin, and the caveman part is now a duet between Mike and his sister Sally; sounding more coherent than before.

Now the music. We've all heard it so I don't think I have to go into detail about what it entails. All I have to say is that I love almost all of it, except for the start of Finale which goes for to long.

So being that I never grew up with the original, I never grew to love it for what it was despite its flaws in quality. Therefore I think Mike did the right thing by making Tubular Bells 2003 for the younger people like me. 4.5 stars

Quirky Turkey | 4/5 |