Cynic - Traced In Air CD (album) cover

TRACED IN AIR

Cynic

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

slashcard
5 stars Traced In Air is easily the most impressive album I own. At this point, I would say that I've listened to this album, hundreds of times, and not one of which has been a let down.

Let me first state, that there is some excellent Jazz Fusion work on this album. Intense guitar riffs, intricate tremolo picking. With the mixture of bass slides, steady and expansive drum sections, and ethereal clean guitar interludes, it is a truly unique mix. It is a continuous flow, a musical evolution progressing from one song to the next.

With as intense as this album is, it has a very calming, and peaceful air about. Almost, behind the music, you can feel a soft silence. It's not abrasive in any sense despite the instrumental uses, and constant push of the album. A lot of albums that have an ethereal/space rock essence leave you feeling mildly isolated, whereas this album seems to do the exact opposite, and tears down any barriers you may have.

It tends to be extremely rare to find albums that grow with a person, and I believe Trace In Air does this with great vitality.

Despite the fact there may be many albums I enjoy, and some I've rated with five stars; if I could rate only one album with such a distinction, this would be it.

It contains superb compositions.

Has a wonderful feeling, which progresses with you.

Aesthetically, the album has amazing artwork by Robert Venosa, and excellent lyrical compositions (which I usually heavily abandon lyrics while engaged in musical listening).

And overall, is one album I believe belongs in every progressive fans collections.

Alas, I don't want to over emphasize with words, so go check it out for yourself.

slashcard | 5/5 |