Pip Pyle - Pip Pyle's Equipe Out CD (album) cover

PIP PYLE'S EQUIPE OUT

Pip Pyle

Canterbury Scene

toroddfuglesteg
3 stars An album I am not sure why and how ended up on my desk. That's a mystery I cannot solve.

Anyway, the drummer Pip Pyle was involved in a lot of the best Canterbury bands. National Health, Gong and Hatfield & The North being the most known of them. Well, for me at least. Hence, Pip Pyle has a bit of a hero status in my world. He died though five years ago and I vividly remember the pictures from his funeral. A bit sad.

Pip Pyle is the drummer here. But Elton Dean and Hugh Hopper really steals the show in my opinion and gives this album associations to a band Pip Pyle was never involved in; The Soft Machine. Sorry, but for me Elton Dean's unmistaken sound will always be associated with this, one of my favorite bands. And that is a compliment. Hugh Hopper's bass also adds colours to this album. All three has sadly passed away.

This album starts as a straight jazz album with a pretty light hearted and not so good opening track Foetal Fandango. A track which does not sit well with me. It feels like circus music and something you play when some horses runs around inside a circus. Thankfully, the album takes a turn for the better with Elton Dean taking the album into a more intense jazz direction. That's how I will remember a musician who single handed has made interested in jazz. The best track is left to the end; the intense beautiful Excerpt From 'Reve De Singe'. Inbetween, we get some good jazz too.

This album is perhaps more a trad jazz album than a Canterbury album. It is a good album though and one I like. But I have heard better jazz albums. But listening to Elton Dean is always a treat. A good album with some musicians which sadly is no longer with us.

3 stars