Captain Beefheart - Safe As Milk CD (album) cover

SAFE AS MILK

Captain Beefheart

RIO/Avant-Prog

Sheavy
5 stars The Captain's first album is a very exciting mix of blues, rock, and experimental touches. I am a big fan of blues music, and this album is one that I have always loved because of its Prog tendencies and great bluesy guitar playing, coupled with Beefheart's one of a kind vocals and lyrics.

Of all the songs here, the closing song, Autumn's Child, sounds to me like a true Prog song. Another stand out song is the opening song, Sure Nuff N Yes I Do, which has a amazing opening with the slide guitar. Another standout song for me is the song Electricity, which has a very creepy sounding vocal delivery by Beefheart here. It also has some very cool theremin playing courtesy of Sam Hoffman.

This album also features two blues legends on this album. Ry Cooder plays guitar and bass here, and Taj Mahal is here as well doing some percussion. Captain Beefheart actually asked Ry Cooder if he wanted to join The Magic Band full time but he declined the invitation.

Overall this album is a prime example of early Avant Garde Prog, that is up there with such early Avant Prog albums like Zappa's Absolutely Free album. One that must not be missed by anyone interested in Prog.

Sheavy | 5/5 |