Igor Wakhevitch - Hathor CD (album) cover

Igor Wakhevitch

Progressive Electronic

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
3 stars Wakhevitch's 3rd album makes a decisive turn towards progressive electronic territory. Hailing from 1973 it is quite unique, different from Schulze and Tangerine Dream as it emphasis avant-garde composition and theatricality over improvisation and cosmic exploration. It's still quite spacey but in general it rather reminds me of the avant-garde works from Vangelis.

A strong opener 'Hymne' makes for an epic and disconcerting opener for synths and chorus. At the end, French recited 'poetry' make this track quite pedantic and a bit cheesy actually. It's a common problem with all Wakhevitch releases I've heard. Luckily the compositions remain at a high level throughout, exploring new forms as well as sounds. Like many avant works, it makes this the sort of music that I do enjoy very much at an intellectual level but that I find difficult to connect to on an emotional/intuitive level.

Bonnek | 3/5 |