Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death CD (album) cover

A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH

Iron Maiden

Dobermensch
2 stars Same old, same old, I'm afraid. How is it possible to have a recording career as long as theirs and show so few signs of development? Bruce still has the same old operatic vocal style that he's used continuously for 29 years. Fair do's though - he still sounds good. It seems as though Iron Maiden just release the music that's expected of them. Honestly, take any one of their albums from the last 10 years and guaranteed - they all sound identical. Still, it's better than the previous 10 years before that. Now there was a grim time for Maiden fans.

I may seem negative towards this LP but I just feel there's so much more they're capable of, as they're undoubtedly good musicians.

I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe while listening to this. Despite its healthy rating I find 'A Matter of Life and Death' to be instantly forgettable. There's no new ideas, no 'lets do something completely off the wall and unexpected', no tampering or experimentation with the guitars, no deviation from the straight drums. Iron Maiden seem to be caught between two stools. Do they go all out attack or stay safe? It's the latter I'm afraid and safe isn't good enough these days.

Dobermensch | 2/5 |