Capability Brown - Voice CD (album) cover

VOICE

Capability Brown

Wicket
4 stars Ah, the satisfaction of finding a diamond in the rough.

Now I will come out saying that Capability Brown was more of a funky R&B type group than a traditional prog outfit, but nevertheless, each and every track on here is fun to listen to, no matter the genre.

"I Am And So Are You" is the most proggy of the first four tracks. It's a very catchy song, and the groove is very.....er......groovy. "Sad Am I" is their version of the typical love song (I'm guessing that's what it's about) while "Midnight Cruiser" is another 70's hit in the making (even though it wasn't) and finally "Keep Death Off The Road" is a blusey, funk rock track that probably has one of the weirdest sung chorus' in history.

Then, of course, there's the end of the album. So, we meet again, "20-or-so-minute long f***ing awesome prog epic". We meet again.

"Circumstances" is an unusual track simply because it's constructed in a progressive rock fashion, even though the four other tracks in the album could've been radio hits. This was not a prog band, but this is a prog song. Of course, it's what most of the current reviews here are about. Hell, the one song alone is worth the purchase of this album. It's even longer than the four other tracks on this album....combined.

In all, if you're able to find this album, get it. You will not be disappointed, especially if you're into those barber shop quartets. Yeah, there's a section like that in "Circumstances".

Wicket | 4/5 |