Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans CD (album) cover

3.88 | 1953 ratings

5 stars In my opinion Tales From Topographic Oceans is the YES masterpiece, I don't care if those who hate it say it's over blown, too avant gard, to weird and lacks focus, So many things are happening on this album, so many new things are tried and I give it high marks for that, My door into Progressive Rock Came Via Miles Davis and his Classic's like Bitches Brew and all of his 70's jazz funk and rock workouts, I also appreciate music from the free jazz pianist Cecil Taylor and late Period Coltrane, This music is certainly not easy listening, and Tales From Topographic Oceans is that way, It requires many listens to understand it's meaning. Is it a flawed album? of course it is, Just Like Bitches Brew, The genus is in the effort, Not every thing works, especially on disc 2, I bet if YES would have released this as a single LP, It would be ranked right up there with Close To the edge, In my opinion, "Revealing Science of God" is as good as anything on Fragile or Close to the Edge, This album kind of reminds of Gun's n Roses and their Illusion albums, Those were bloated and to overstuffed with filler, One all time classic could have been made, instead of 2 very good albums, Tales From Topographic Ocean is the same, Because of the experimenting and self indulgence, The album is flawed, but I enjoy the flaws, when the Musicianship is this good.
darkprinceofjazz | 5/5 |