An Endless Sporadic - An Endless Sporadic CD (album) cover

AN ENDLESS SPORADIC

An Endless Sporadic

Starhammer
3 stars More Sporadic, far from Endless...

Ever since hearing the song Impulse I have been a big fan of this band and followed them closely. After playing their debut EP almost to death I was very happy to hear of this eponymous release, although at just 33 minutes in length it still isn't enough!

The Good: There are several noticeable improvements here over their previous outing, most importantly is the feeling of structure! Whilst I really enjoyed every track on "Ameriolate", they also appeared to be an exercise in trying to pack as many notes from as many instruments as possible into an impossibly short time. It would seem that they have now proved their point that yes they are phenomenal musicians, and have moved onto writing more meaningful compositions. Don't get me wrong, the virtuoso indulgence is still there but spread out tastefully in a more refined style.

This album also has a single stand-out track which completely blew me away, something which the EP lacked. That track is Eternal Bloom and is flawless from start to finish.

An Endless Sporadic are labelled on this site as progressive metal but there is also a lot more variation here than on "Ameriolate". In fact I would go as far as to say that the overall sound is closer to jazz/fusion with metal elements.

The Bad: The production still needs a bit of work, especially the drums. It's a shame really that such excellent music does not sound as good as it should. The overall release also has a somewhat unfinished feel to it. Whilst there are genuinely no weak tracks, the length of the album leaves many musical ideas 'underdeveloped', which can lead to the feeling that you're listening to a series of samplers or previews.

The Verdict: A step in the right direction for this band. If they manage to achieve a solid mix and a few more stand-out tracks on their next record, then we could be in for a treat!

Starhammer | 3/5 |