Nurkostam - III Of Dreamers CD (album) cover

3 stars A Finnish band with their debut album. Well, they have previously released two very long EPs to mixed reviews so this is really not a debut album. But officially, it is.

The first thing that strikes me is the lack of mastering on this album. It seems like the mastering has been done by a computer and not by a mastering engineer. An artist/record label can save hundreds of euros on this. But the result is always bad sound. Which this album has. It feels a bit lifeless. Like lifeless beer.

Getting past the sound, the music here is very varied. From Sigur Ros via King Crimson to prog folk and Renaissance. Most of the music here is pastoral. I have yet to hear any Neo Prog here so a re-labelling is in order, me thinks.

This album most of all reminds me about the English female fronted bands from the 1970s with a lush, symphonic prog sound. There is plenty of orchestral instruments here and a lot of references to classical music. Then again, there is a lot of references to King Crimson and eclectic prog too.

The sound is a problem for me and the reason why this is not the great album it should have been. But the music here is full of intricate details and is very good. I have no favorite songs though. One or two killer tracks would had done wonders for this album and for the band. But they are onto something and I hope they continue their good work.

3.5 stars