Jimi Hendrix - Roots Of Hendrix CD (album) cover

Jimi Hendrix

Proto-Prog

Evolver
Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
2 stars This album was originally recorded in 1966, with Jimi Hendrix playing as a sideman in sax player Lonnie Youngblood's band. As far as I know, the album was never released under Youngblood's name. It was released, however, shortly after Hendrix's death (I presume it was a cynical attempt by the music's owner to capitalize on the tragedy), under Hendrix' name.

I must admit, there is enough of Hendrix' distinctive guitar (in all but one track) to justify the album, but here is playing is quite raw and not yet fully developed into what we heard on "Are You Experienced?". While this does have some good playing, it's really just for collectors.

Evolver | 2/5 |