AltaVia - Girt Dog CD (album) cover

GIRT DOG

AltaVia

toroddfuglesteg
4 stars Wow !!! Another great band from Italy with their debut album.

I interviewed the band earlier this year. But that interview did not fully prepare me for what hit me when I started to play this album.

Altavia play a blend of neo-prog with a distinctive Rock Progressivo Italiano flavour (Read: the vintage RPI tangent sound), Seattle rock aka Pearl Jam and AOR. One third of each, I would say. They sings in English and that gives this album a pretty English feel. Hence, a band like The Tangent is a very good reference.

The songs are pretty long and they are based on the bass, drums, guitars, vocals and tangent formula. Altavia has not reinvented the wheel. Their music is pretty conservative and based on trying to write good catchy melodies and their superb musicanship. Both the vocalist and the musicians is doing a superb job.

But where this album really scores well is in the melodies stake. All songs here are really great and based around the good melody combined with a lot of interesting details and excellent musicianship. Altavia throws a lot of spices into the mix. But always with an eye for the great melody. And they have succeeded.

From the first song/epic Picture Frame with it's excellent hooks to the final track Teleselezione, this album is a textbook in great songs.

This is a truly great album which everyone here who good melodies more than technical wizardry should check out.

4 stars