Magenta - Another Time... Another Place CD (album) cover

erik neuteboom
3 stars After 3 studio albums the UK five piece band Magenta decided to release a 2-CD with live material. I have only heard the first two albums from Magenta but listening to this 2-CD live set I notice that few things changed: pleasant female vocals with hints from Annie Haskam (Renaissance), wonderful guitarplay (from tender acoustic to fiery electric), a strong rhythm-section and a lush and varied keyboards sound (sampled Minimoog, Hammond, Mellotron, Fender Rhodes). The very melodic compositions are in the 24-carat symphonic rock tradition with obvious hints from Yes (vocal harmonies, bass sound, Minimoog flights) and Genesis (keyboards) but Magenta sounds more mainstream, less adventurous and less elaborate. But there is a huge demand for this kind of progressive rock, I think many progheads will be pleased with this live 2-CD from Magenta. To me it sounds very professional, this band has a bright future in the world of the progressive rock.
erik neuteboom | 3/5 |