Eloy - Ra CD (album) cover

Psychedelic/Space Rock

3 stars Ra from 1988 is a flat album from all directions and find Eloy exploring new techologies of that period, musicaly speaking. Is typical '80's in sound, the drums sound is awful on some pieces, like a broken can, the arrangements are fairly mediocre but not entirly bad. The keybords or better said the synths is modern in sound, but in places a return to form specialy in pieces like Voyager of the Future Race or the smooth ballad Rainbow. Overall a quite plastic in sound, most of the bads from that era uses this type of technology drum programming, here fits only partialy. Bornemann's voice is quite pleasent most of the time, no weak moments, the atmosphere and some arrangements are totaly dull. To many fans Ra is a disappointing album, maybe, I"m a fan I considered a so so release, not bad not so great either, and far from what was in the heyday. Still enjoyble to me2.5 rounded to 3 because I love Eloy, otherwise is almost a forgetable release.
b_olariu | 3/5 |