Ange - Caricatures CD (album) cover

3 stars The debut album from Ange sets the standard for the emerging French symph prog scene.

Although very influenced by Genesis and King Crimson, Ange mixes in the Paris cafe and theatre culture singers like Jacques Brel into the mix too. But it is no doubts Ange is a French band and their music is very much French music. Something I really admire them for. I do not deny I really likes the bands who has copied the sound and style created by this album and Ange themselves.

The music here is as stated above. A mix of King Crimson, Jacques Brel, Genesis and theatrical music from Paris. The French vocals really enhances the experience and improves this album by some wineyards.

What is missing is some truly great songs. But as a debut album, this is very good and it has really made me interested in listening to a lot more Ange albums. Not to mention; other similar sounding French bands.

3.5 stars