Alejandro Matos - Freak CD (album) cover

FREAK

Alejandro Matos

Sheavy
4 stars My first album by Argentinian singer/songwriter Alejandro Matos. This record is very, very dark and at times the music has a almost unsettling feel to it. That does not make this a bad record, but it is not recommended if you need something to get you happy.

The first thing that struck me was Matos's guitar playing. it is my favorite thing about this album really, and he really has a penchant for good post rock like atmosphere and sharp, enticing guitar solos. The addition of an organ is also a realy nice touch to the whole dark atmosphere this record shrouds itself in.

Some personnal favs are the beginning song, and the epic El Infierno de Los Buenos, which has one of the really good aforementioned guitar solos. Also a special shout out going to the interlude like song, Invernadero de preguntas. All I have to say about that song is, whatever you do, do not listen to that song in the dark. It is up there, in terms of extreme creepiness, with Tool's Faip De Oiad.

A solid album deserving of four stars.

Sheavy | 4/5 |