Universal Totem Orchestra - Rituale Alieno CD (album) cover

Universal Totem Orchestra

4 stars in a word: GREAT.

This album is a great example of complex, always changing and evolving music.

It starts with the astonishing "Pane astrale", which really makes me shiver: the soprano voice is really intense, and the viola work is great, while piano could be better, expecially because of its sound, which is too itchy.

After this long intro into the album, the real Zahul part starts, which consists of 5 long and intricated suites-in-a-song voyages into vast and universals dimensions.

When I say "universal", I refer to the spacey atmospheres, but also to moments of chaos, psichedely, dispersion, relaxation, and even grotesque moments which can be found on this album.

Unlike many similar works - I'm thinking of some pretentious black metal attemps at such a mixture of extremely different genres - this never falls into ridicolous, it's always above average, and some parts are really ingenious.

Recommended for Zahul fans, should be great for general progressive fans.

One of the few modern progressive works which really impressed me.

Warholizer | 4/5 |