Star One - Victims Of The Modern Age CD (album) cover

VICTIMS OF THE MODERN AGE

Star One

toroddfuglesteg
3 stars Just to chime in with my opinions. They are well overdue. But better late than never.

Star One is Arjen Lucassen's metal project. Lyrically, this is a science fiction based project which gravitates among the stars out in the cosmic ocean. Musically, the music is pretty much out there in the cosmic ocean too. The music has a hard progressive metal edge. But the music also reminds me a lot about what Rainbow did. Besides of the metallic riffing guitars, there is a very strong 1970s hard rock feel over this material. That is a sound I really like.

The material here is very good, bordering to great. A song like 24 hours is really great. There is some other stuff here I am less happy about. I am less happy about this constant metal riffing guitars which feels like an unwanted distraction. OK, this is meant to be a metal project, far away from Ayreon. But the almost industrial metal sounding guitars still feels like they are impeding the melodies and killing them off. A bit more organic guitar sound would have improved this album a lot. That is why, despite of some really great tracks, I do not think this is a great album.

But this is still a very good album.

3.5 stars