Dixie Dregs - What If CD (album) cover

Dixie Dregs

4 stars I love this album. It's a really unique blend of prog, jazz fusion and country that actually works. I know it sounds horrible to some, but as a Southerner who grew up listening to Gentle Giant, Yes and Mahavishnu Orchestra, the music of the Dixie Dregs makes sense to me.

The musicianship is outstanding...."jaw-dropping", as others have stated....and the songwriting is varied and inspired.

I love the way the album comes charging out of the gate with the the rocking "Take It Off The Top" and then heads into the complexities of the multi-part "Odyssey". Other favorites of mine are "Ice Cakes" and "Gina Lola Breakdown".

I would recommend this to fans of Mahavishnu and also to fans of Yes and Gentle Giant. Basically to anyone who appreciates intense musical skill applied to strong compositions.

peskypesky | 4/5 |