Robert Wyatt - Nothing Can Stop Us CD (album) cover

Robert Wyatt

Canterbury Scene

3 stars Just a brief comment on this album.... interesting and rewarding efforts here by Wyatt but I certainly wouldn't highlight 'Stalin wasn't Stallin' as the jewel here. Apart from the misguided politics of a song celebrating one of history's greatest mass murderers on the grounds that he defended his country against another mad tyrant, it is a tad irritating. But perhaps I cannot separate the two.... Anyway, the highlight for me is Wyatt's cover of Costello's 'Shipbuilding'. There is no doubt as to the talents of Elvis Costello but instead of an elaborate arrangement and Costello's nasal crooning we have Wyatt's plaintive delivery and a rather sparse affair. To me this captures the song's mood much more effectively. The album is worth it just for this song alone but 'Born again Cretin' is also good and the album has generally a good feel to it.
| 3/5 |