25 Yard Screamer - Until All Are One CD (album) cover

UNTIL ALL ARE ONE

25 Yard Screamer

toroddfuglesteg
3 stars This new'ish British band has returned again. Their debut album Cassandra got a very good reception. I am sure this album, the follow up, will also get them new fans.

Until All Are One is style wise somewhere between neo-prog, the new British guitar rock scene and post rock. The sound is very much post millenium. There is no traces whatsoever of the neo prog sound from the 1980s/1990s here. The songs are very long, but there is no symphonic prog traces in their music whatsoever. The songs are long and symphonic, but in the post rock meaning of symphonic. I would almost call it post symphonic.

The songs are guitar based. Keyboards ? Hardly any. The format is power trio with bass, drums, guitars and vocals. This may give some references to the most famous power trio of them all; Rush. Which is actually a good reference. But the Rush sound was/is far more organic than 25 Yards Screamer. But yes, Rush fans will find a lot of good things on this album. So will post rock fans too.

The songs are long and complicated with a lot of twists and turns. A lot of break beats too. I have been told by a woman half my age that this is a very good thing among her generation.

The music here is good throughout. The problem is a lack of any great songs. That is my gripe with this album. But it is a pleasing listen and it will win them a lot of new fans. In particular on the live and festival circuit where this album will be a winner.

This is an album which does not really reach the dizzy heights of greatness. But check it out yourself.

3 stars