Atoll - Musiciens - Magiciens CD (album) cover

3 stars Well, well, well........... I was leaning back in my sofa with a satisfied grin and awaiting an Ange like album when I first put on this album. I was in for a big surprise........

This is the debut album from the French symph proggers Atoll. A band with a very good reputation. So I purchased some of their albums.

This debut album is style wise all over the shop. From country to eclectic to folk and a bit of symph prog too. They even touch base with disco and zeuhl too on this album. A very eclectic mix, it has to be said.

The quality is not that great though........ with the exception of the title track and the closening track Je suis d'ailleurs. Both are very good symph prog tracks with a lot of what later became known as typical French symph prog. The rest of the songs are blowing hot and cold. Some of the melody lines here, the disco stuff, is cringeworthy. But the French people has always done it their way and Atoll is no exception from that rule. Hence, this is a bit of a bizarre album. But it is saved by those two above mentioned albums. It is a good album, but not perhaps an album that will get much airplay in my household.

3 stars