Seven That Spells - Future Retro Spasm CD (album) cover

FUTURE RETRO SPASM

Seven That Spells

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Eetu Pellonpää
4 stars This album gives quite prophetical first impression with its album covers, and being the freshest disc of the band for me, I agree that from these records I have heard it succeeds most perfectly with the fresher directions of the group.

Monumental "Olympos" is drawn to the horizon with anticipating tension creation, building interesting rhythmic hooks and spiralling in jazzy levels. A crash of gong summons a stagnant rhythm to the stage, accompanied with a fine melody from the saxophone. More striking math rock oriented background for lyrical side appears after a short and sudden sonic missile. Drums are given space for an effect treated solo, before the song returns to the starting theme. Song "G" is built from simple repetitive notes interacting and forming layer of rhythms, and t this basis is united sounds delivering feelings of dangerous urban jungle. Minimal and menacing song for solo instruments and hypnotic rhythms is relieved neatly to more free causeways, cruising happily in highway of sounds. Fine decreasing of intensity is achieved in the end, and convincing union of happy and violent elements merge as solemn surreal entity. "Terminus Est" starts with gamelan sounding web of licks, feeling like more powerful and violent version of King Crimson's discipline. The changes in tonal motives create furious sensations of danger and awesomeness, contrasted with "The Abandoned World Of Automata". This long song has laid back calm presence, where a really fine bass melody is conjured upon repeating hypnotic webs. Saxophone creeps in later really euphorically, spacey guitar crowning the tension. The musical freedom increases in the later parts of the tune, which finally returns to the chords were it was borne. Before ending, the main theme smashes in with powered strength, before accepting the jazzy calmness to close the track. This epic is certainly one of my own personal favourites on this record! "Death Star Narcolepsy" returns to more twisting planes, John Zorn reminding chaos noise aggressions appear as fast furious smashes. This terror gets contrast from sudden quietness and sharp rhythm counting for a more exotic klezmer sounding solo. The last twists lead to "Quetzalcoatl", which summarizes to heavy and nasty beatings with quick cross picking euphoria, leading to cool cruising on highway of jazzy saxophone sabotage.

I would warmly recommend this record for fans of heavy avantgardistic jazzy psych rock. I was personally interested to learn to know some fascinating underground music from Croatia's Zagreb as I got privilege to visit this beautiful city myself some time ago. Sadly I missed their gig announced to be there quite close during time of writing, as seeing this group on stage would be very tempting opportunity. By listening the earlier records it has been interesting to witness band evolve from a progressive stoner psych rock as a more sophisticated noise jazz-rock ensemble. I have not heard the most recent records yet though, so I'm unaware the traits their artistic innovation has hurled them to.

Eetu Pellonpää | 4/5 |