Rush - Caravan / BU2B CD (album) cover

CARAVAN / BU2B

Rush

Starhammer
4 stars "In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big..."

I was absolutely gutted at missing out on the band's recent Time Machine tour, I just couldn't afford it when the tickets went on sale, but I've since consoled myself by scraping together some pennies from behind the sofa, and splashing out on this two track taster from their upcoming 2012 release.

On the A-side we have Caravan, and as the lead single from their next album I automatically compare it to the lead single from their previous album, Far Cry. For me there is no competition. Not only is Caravan more interesting, it also has better lyrics, and the contrast between uplifting chorus and that crushing riff makes it live long in the memory. The band really has 'nailed it' here musically, with lush instrumental passages that were only hinted at on recent outings. Caravan sits comfortably within my top five Rush tracks of this century.

And the B-side is, well, a B-side! Less intense, less diverse, and generally less memorable. The lyrics are classic Peart, and quite a contrast from the surprisingly uplifting A-side. Having said that BU2B is still a strong offering and easily stands shoulder to shoulder with the majority of tracks on Snakes & Arrows.

The Verdict: With this solid foundation laid, and the promise of an 'epic' track on the full release, 'Clockwork Angels' might just be the return to form that I've been waiting for since 'Signals'.

Starhammer | 4/5 |