Quella Vecchia Locanda - Il Tempo Della Gioia  CD (album) cover

IL TEMPO DELLA GIOIA

Quella Vecchia Locanda

Rock Progressivo Italiano

Warthur
4 stars Though I was blown away by Quella Vecchia Locanda's debut album, which I consider to be a gem of the Genesis-worshipping wave of Italian prog albums from 1972/1973, and whilst I don't quite rate this album so highly, I think changing up their style between albums was 100% the right choice - with such insane oversaturation of the market at the time, making yourself distinctive had become essential by 1974.

In the case of QVL, they went for a more classically-influenced approach which creeps in a bit of fusion here or there, as well as hints at the heavy prog approach of Il Balletto di Bronzo. It's a heady mix, and whilst I don't think it's knock-you-off-your-feet fantastic, it still stands head and shoulders above the output of many one-album wonders from the Italian scene of the time.

Warthur | 4/5 |