Geinoh Yamashirogumi - Chi no Hibiki Higashi Yuroppo Wo Utau CD (album) cover

CHI NO HIBIKI HIGASHI YUROPPO WO UTAU

Geinoh Yamashirogumi

RIO/Avant-Prog

SaltyJon
3 stars With their album "Chi no Hibiki Higashi Yuroppo Wo Utau", roughly translated to "Reverberation of Earth" for the CD release from 1994, this magical collective, Geinoh Yamashirogumi, presents listeners with an incredibly beautiful, all vocal album of Eastern European singing styles. At times, we're presented with large choirs singing, sometimes with solo/featured voices, but never at any point is there anything which could be labeled as progressive rock, rock, or indeed even progressive here (for that, look to their stunning "Osorezan" album).

That's not to say the music presented here isn't masterfully crafted, beautiful, and a great listening experience every time I decide to put this album on. It's incredibly peaceful and full of emotion, and definitely recommended to fans of choral music. Last time I checked, though, this isn't the ChoralMusicArchives, it's the ProgArchives. Thus, even though I listen to this one more often than Osorezan and consider it on an equal level of quality, I can't give it the same rating - this one gets 3 stars from me for PA, it's a good (actually very good) album but not prog at all.

SaltyJon | 3/5 |